Clear, Single-Polymer, Gel Lubricant for Underground Installations
Polywater® G offers crews a cable pulling lubricant that can be hand applied when pouring is not possible. Polywater G is a single-polymer lubricant used for underground cable pulling in the telecommunication and electrical utility industries. This non-staining lubricant was widely used 30-40 years ago due to its ease of application, resistance to mold growth, and availability in field-friendly packages.
Polywater’s newer complex-polymer lubricants, such as Polywater J, are better suited for installing copper telecommunication and electrical cables. Polywater J was specially formulated for today’s longer and more difficult pulls, pulling through multiple bends and working in hot environments. Polywater J is also used in vertical conduit runs, as it won’t cold flow down into the box or panel after the cables are installed. If Polywater G is still being used we recommend contacting Polywater for a better solution for cable installation needs.
1. Lubricity: PVC- or LDPE-jacketed cable on PVC conduit at 200 lbs/ft normal pressure; coefficient of dynamic friction <.20.
2. Temperature stability: No more than a 10% change in Brookfield viscosity from 5°C to 38°C (40°F to 100°F). No phase-out after five freeze/thaw cycles or 24-hour exposure at 49°C (120°F).
3. Appearance: Thick, clear, colorless, gel material.
4. pH: 6.4 to 7.2
5. Wax, grease, and silicone content: None
6. Cable compatibility: Passes IEEE 1210 physical and electrical testing on a wide variety of cable materials.
7. Temperature Use Range: -5°C to 33°C (20°F to 90°F).
8. Percent non-volatile solids: .5 to 1.5%
9. Polyethylene stress cracking: No stress cracking on LDPE cable jacket when tested by ASTM D1693.
10. Toxicity: Non-toxic and non-sensitizing. Industrial use only.
11. Flammability: Lubricant has no flash point and dried residue is non-flammable.
12. Cleanup: Complete cleanup possible with water.